What I've noticed with Django on Dreamhost is that if your site is hit
before the fcgi timeout (2 minutes) its quite responsive.  If the fcgi
process exits, it has to restart, reconnect to the db, etc. and there
is a very couple of seconds delay before things get going again.
But I just checked out your site and it does seem quites slow on
DH, compared to my site - http://surveys.zdecisions.com. Have you
opened a support issue?

I recall reading that DreamHost was offering free hosting for all non-
profits
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Non-profit_Discount.  Not sure if
there's something similar at ASO or not.

Good luck,
-chasfs