Ah-ha! I think I've found the issue.

The problem was coming from the template context loader I was using.
Or rather, how that was set in the settings.py file. I only had one
template context loader set, and forgot to include a trailing comma so
that it could be processed as a tuple instead of a string. Once I
added that, everything works as it should. Just one of those little
gotchas that you have to look out for.