I've just attempted the first part using lukeplant's middleware.
However I am not getting the following error...

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "c:\documents and settings\me\django_src\django\core\servers
\basehttp.py", line 272, in run
    self.result = application(self.environ, self.start_response)

  File "c:\documents and settings\me\django_src\django\core\servers
\basehttp.py", line 614, in __call__
    return self.application(environ, start_response)

  File "c:\documents and settings\me\django_src\django\core\handlers
\wsgi.py", line 184, in __call__
    self.load_middleware()

  File "c:\documents and settings\me\django_src\django\core\handlers
\base.py", line 35, in load_middleware
    raise exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured, 'Middleware module "%s"
does not define a "%s" class' % (mw_module, mw_classname)

ImproperlyConfigured: Middleware module "mysite.project" does not
define a "threadlocals" class

I have saved the threadlocals in mysite/project directory. And in my
settings file I have the following:

MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES = (
    'django.middleware.common.CommonMiddleware',
    'django.contrib.sessions.middleware.SessionMiddleware',
    'django.contrib.auth.middleware.AuthenticationMiddleware',
    'django.middleware.doc.XViewMiddleware',
    'mysite.project.threadlocals',
)

Can anyone see where I'm going wrong?
Thanks