Hi

My question first:

If you use an .htaccess file to hold the reqiured mod_python
directives for a given Django project, is it really that unsafe to
store the project inside the web server's directory structure?

I.e., doesn't the "SetHandler mod_python" tell apache to direct all
requests for this directory tree to the specified handler? If so, this
means the users can't get at files except through the handler, and in
this case we are talking about django's handler - and it doesn't just
hand out files on request either..it only "executes" them to create
some output which gets sent to the web server.. So what's unsafe about
putting in the web space in this scenario?

Background, in case you are bored :-) :

We are creating an Django bare-bones website that will be used from
which to create other similar sites which will then be modified
independantly.

My boss has asked me if a Django installation can be setup such that
it can be replicated by just copying some of it's files with possibly
making some settings changes to some of them, via a setup script.

One of the requirements was that we don't have to alter httpd.conf.

We are using mod_python, some my understanding is that *somewhere* you
need to be able to tell apache to invoke mod_python, set the python
path to include your project direcctory etc.

To make a long story short, it seems I can meet my boss's goals by
putting an .htaccess file inside each project directory and storing
the project directory  somewhere in apache's document structure.

This keeps me from having to create a <Location> or <Directory> entry
in the httpd.conf file (because we are using an .htaccess file) and
keeps me from having to modfiy the httpd.conf to add an Alias
directive to "point to" files outside the webspace (i.e., if I follwed
the recommendation and put my Django project outside the web space)

Thanks!
Michael