I may be wrong but I believe that the you cannot use the  If statement
inside a template to evaluate a  specific value.  You use it to
determine whether the object or value exists ( has been returned by the
view).

I think that this is because the developers wanted to maintain a
distinction between the presentation and the logic.

I seem to remember that someone has written some code, as a patch, to
allow the IF statement to evaluate specific values, but cannot remember
where the code is.

MerMer