You can do It with custom Managers. This was my way to have list
filtered by user, but maybe It's not your case. Depending on the
deisgn of your project, may be It's better
to build a custom view inside the admin (as the djangobook  chapter 18 speaks).
Anyway I do It this way:

1 - store the user id taken from a middleware from the superguru lukeplant
http://lukeplant.me.uk/blog.php?id=1107301634

2 - create a custom manager for the class you want the change-list page will be
filtered  that override the get_query_set(), this is less or more mine:

class myCustomizedMan(models.Manager):
  def get_query_set(self):
     userid=threadlocals.get_current_user().id
     return
super(myCustomizedMan,self).get_query_set().filter(your_user__id__exact=userid)

3 - I don't know if this problem still occur in 0.95.1 but in 0.95 If
you want to use a custom manager you have to say it inside the admin class:

class Admin:
  bla bla bla filter, list_display whatever you want
  manager = myCustomizedMan()

This was my little hack to have rows filtered by user. This way, people can't
display other users rows, inside the admin change-list page.

Please consider that every time you achieve to customize the admin,
other new things come up and this hacking way never end. Django 1.0
will solve this admin
customization issue with the new Admin class.
So IMHO:
1) try your custom views instead
2) try to customize the admin via chapter 18 of the djangobook
3) try my little tric (based on the superduperguruLukeplant great hack)
4) wait for the new Admin Class (maybe 0.96 will come soon)

Bye
Picio