I have two legacy databases which I can connect to
django separately without problems. I would like to read data from
one, wrangle the data a bit, and write them to the other.

How would I go about that, given that, as I understand it, I can
import the settings only once. I would seem that in principle it would
not be difficult to make a new database connection in mid-script
(I don't need the admin interface necessarily)

I tried to use the multi-db branch, and it worked very nice. But I had
to switch back to trunk because of a bug I encountered, and there are
other django applications running on the same machine, for which
I cannot risk to use a non-production quality branch.

Also, I gave up on the multi-db branch after reading this from Jacob:
(http://groups.google.com.br/group/django-developers/browse_thread/thread/ae4261bb3aa4ea01/)
 "A maintainer/champion: for any big feature to have longevity, someone
needs to commit to maintaining the code for the foreseeable future.
Nothing would be worse than to merge in something big like multi-db
and have it break in three months because nobody understands it.  If
the maintenance plan for a big feature involves forcing me or another
committer to do more work, it's just not gonna work out."

I hate having to say "no" to cool features like multi-db, but since
this is a volunteer-run project, we have a limited amount of time
available.  "

I read this as saying that that the multi-db will never be incorporated
in trunk, because even if all the bugs would be worked out, even if there
would be documation, etc, etc, there is no commiter that wants to maintain
it. If it will never be in trunk, I don't want to use it.

(Am I being controversial here? I don't want to be. I am not
criticizing anybody,
just making explicit my personal reasoning. I don't know how to better manage
branches or contributions in general, and the django developers are doing a
wonderful job in open-source community management. That said, given the
above quote, I do wonder how any branch not developed by commiters
will ever make it into trunk.)