Good stuff! I am going to be needing this at some point and now i have
a good base to start from.

I have one enhancement that is very important to me (and should be to
everyone). Seeing as this is the type of filter that would be used in
blog comments for example, i would add a rel="nofollow" attribute to
every off-site link. This effectively discourages comment spam.
Perhaps you can make it optional, but i'd have it turned on by
default.
Here's some more reading on the attribute:
http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050118-204728

Regards,
Simon