Also, keep in mind that you can tell svn to ignore a particular file
even though it is located in a working directory.  We keep a settings.py
under svn control, and have it import a local.py which is ignored.  This
way, each developer can make local modifications without fear of
accidentally polluting the common pool.

--Ned.