On 14/03/07, Alexander Boldakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The web pages served in my django applications are not static media
> files, but dynamically generated content (the result of applying XSLT
> transformation to the XML data retrieved from XML database). I
> consider the architecture of public site with static version of data
> and private dynamic site, but the problem of synchronization of the
> two systems is not trivial in my case. Though i agree that serving big
> dynamic content will fail with increasing the number of users.
>
> P.S. Your writeup is very exciting and interesting!

What kind of XML tools are you using to apply the XSLTs? This can be
quite a heavy task, and combined with the large output sizes - it will
make your processes stay in memory quite long. LibXML is VERY fast
when it comes to XML processing, but even with it sometimes the
processing can be quite heavy, as your user base grows.

In any case - consider caching the results of the transformations, or
reusable parts of them. Any piece of the output that you can reuse and
cache can significantly improve your performance. If you can cache the
whole output - even better, then it's as simple as enabling Django's
Cache middleware.

If your server are stuggling and you have a user base that's rather
big and will need proper performance, then you'll need more machines
to serve your content. In that case having Memcached cahing will
really benefit you, as cached output will be shared between your
server nodes.

How big is the application you're writing and what's its target ?