On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 12:53 +0100, sebastien Pastor wrote:
> Coming back to the topic. Will i be safe if i surround my SQL-related
> code with mySQLDb exceptions? As i understood that doing some tests that
> those are the exceptions raised by django.
>
> Can anyone confirm this ? Or point me to another directions to handle
> SQL exceptions properly if there is some other way ?

In the near future (certainly prior to 1.0), we will wrap the more
user-visible exceptions so that you can catch them without needing to
refer to the specific database backend. At the moment, the exception you
are mostly likely to see from a save() call is a database IntegrityError
but you cannot catch it in a database-neutral way. There is a ticket
open (#3450) to change that. I cannot think of cases when other database
exceptions should be leaking out, although I'm not sure we can
transparently handle "database server has gone away completely" types of
errors, so we may need to wrap the base exception in the DB-API
hierarchy as well for cases like that.

Regards,
Malcolm