On Mar 26, 11:10 pm, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I apologize for the vague newbie question, but I'm gonna ask it
> anyway...
>
> I'd like to switch DBs from mysql to postgres... how does one do so? I
> assume one must export from mysql, import to postgres, then make the
> appropriate changes in settings.py, but are there any gotchas I should
> be aware of? Any advice on HOW to best do the export/import? Any
> advice at all for someone who's never done this?

This is not easily done because the SQL-dialects of MySQL and
PostgreSQL differ. One thing that helped me is, when dumping data with
mysqldump, setting the compatibility mode to MySQL 3.23 so that
mysqldump produces neither character-set information nor "complex
inserts" (there is another command-line switch for that now, as far as
I remember). Then open the dump, strip out all CREATE TABLE statements
and execute those by hand on Postgres, fixing the data types along the
way (for example, int(...) becomes integer or bigint). Make sure that
you select the correct encoding when executing 'createdb'.

Basically then you need to look at the errors that PostgreSQL will
undoubtedly spit in your general direction and fix them.

Good luck,
Jonas