I'm a bit confused by what you're trying to do with the actual data
itself...

I haven't used newforms a great deal yet, but anytime that it has been
necessary to modify data coming in from request.POST I've either done
it within the view itself or within the newforms data validation
system.

for example, on a Registration Form:

def clean_passwordconfirm(self):
        "cofirms that both passwords match"

        if self.clean_data['password'] ==
self.clean_data['passwordconfirm']:
            return self.clean_data['password']
        else:
            raise forms.ValidationError('Password and Confirm are not
the same.')

This accesses data from within the form itself (which I have in
forms.py)

Is this what you were looking for or were you trying to do something
more complicated?