> This is normal Restructured Text behaviour, although I agree it's a bit
> weird when you first see it. It's kind of a consequence of a ReST
> feature combined with us (Django) diving into the middle of the output
> processing pipeline to extract only what we need.

Ah yes, it is the "normal behavior" but it can be configured.  Take a look
here -
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/config.html

and I think you're specifically looking for this text:

"doctitle_xform

    Enable or disable the promotion of a lone top-level section title to
document title (and subsequent section title to document subtitle
promotion; docutils.transforms.frontmatter.DocTitle)."

You'll need to make this change in your /etc/docutils.conf file (or in one
of the other files it mentions).  Then, it should work for you.

Good luck,
Chris