On 4/4/07, Joshua <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > The specific task I have in front of me is to build a CMS that can be
> customized for different sites and different "views" (templates) while
> allowing a CMS admin user to add pages to a site - much like the
> radiantCMS built with Rails (http://radiantcms.org/). However, unlike
> radiant, I don't want to have to use ANOTHER template language (other
> than the one provided with Django) to build my views.

The important thing to remember here is the concept of a "project" in
Django; each project, even if all of them share a single database, has
its own settings file, and this is the key. In each settings file you
can specify the TEMPLATE_DIRS setting, which tells Django where to
look for templates; this means that, for example, you can have several
sites which each have the same INSTALLED_APPS setting and the same URL
configuration, but use completely different sets of templates to
render their output.

In fact, this is largely what we do at World Online: our sites share a
database and use the same sets of applications, but each uses its own
template set and so has its own distinct look and feel. For example:

http://www.lawrence.com/news/2007/apr/02/serving_silence/
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/apr/04/man_rescued_plymouth_church_spire/

Note the similarity in the URLs -- both follow the same pattern of
function in the same application, but the different TEMPLATE_DIRS
settings for the two sites mean that the output can look drastically
different.