My experience has been that if you are able to use the newforms
convenience functions (form_for_model and form_for_instance) there is
a sizable amount of information on the net on how to effectively
implement them. However there seems to be almost no body of knowledge
regarding effective use of custom forms.

This is a problem for a couple reasons, most importantly in my
opinion, teaching people how to use forms through the convenience
functions doesn't give any indication as to how forms work in the
backend and behind the scenes.  Which in turn makes it more difficult
to learn about important tools like subclassing field types.

~ Anders