>> Yes, I can see that, but PUT is idempotent, while POST
>> isn't.  It seems to me that treating one verb as another
>> will at least make HTTP caching odd.
>
> None of PUT/POST/DELETE are cacheable (with the exception of
> POST with Expires or Cache-Control headers)... so I don't know
> that your caching concern is a problem.

Agreed.

My understanding is that collapsing PUT + POST into a single
behavior has the effect of creating an UPSERT command from
distinct INSERT and UPDATE commands...not exactly a bad thing
most of the time.

Calling the resulting collapse POST can be both good (because
it's popularly supported by most browsers) and bad (because it's
confusing with the ReST-ful meaning of POST).

-tkc