Things don't need be more complicated than neccessary:

Apache config snippet:

    SetEnv DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE yourapp.settings
    <LocationMatch "^/(admin|apps|someproject|)(/|$|)">
        SetHandler python-program
        PythonHandler django.core.handlers.modpython
    </LocationMatch>

Which matches root, as well as some selected paths and everything
below it. Everything else will be served by apache and whatever means
configured in your configuration.

Regards,
Niels