If you think manage.py is the best solution but people would be
unconfortable with the command line, you could make a few Python
scripts to stay on their desktops so they would only need to double
click them for something to happen.

  I don't know what requirements you have exactly and what's your
network setup (even why designers need access to manage.py) , but
imagine a folder on the designer desktop named "Projects". When
opened, a few icons saying "Start Project X Server" or "any manage.py
action as a simple name". The script ssh's to the server and run
manage.py. The folder could be a shortcut to a Samba shared folder,
where you're the one creating the scripts, so you still have control
over what they do, but everyone has access.

--
Julio Nobrega - http://www.inerciasensorial.com.br