Ok I've found the problem...

When I said earlier that I tried disabling psyco, I seem to have made
the silly mistake of disabling it on one project, and testing for the
result on another. Mental note to self: opening more than 1 project at
a time will only confuse your little mind.

Psyco causes the problem, and it's probably limited to my specific
version of psyco (which is 1.5.1 final, for anyone that's interested).
I could go dig deeper to see what causes that, but that will be for
some other day... it's Friday for Pete's sake ;)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help Malcolm!