It's very funny but couple of dayes ago I start to write some schema
wvolution framework for django. I've read articles in django-code wiki
about schema evolution and make some major decisions. I realized that
the better way(for me) not to analize application model definition but
to analize django-made DDL code. So I hame 2 DDL files with old schema
definition and new. Old file stored in some "compiled" format in
specific db (using Pickle module).When user changed his model
definition he run schema_evolution.py <app_name> (from the djang-
project root derectory). This script (its more than one file, it whole
multi-file module:) ) gets from django CREATE TABLE statement and then
starts to compare this one with stored earlier. Script parse (using
pyparsing module) two files then try to find changes. It asks user for
renamed tables/fields and then produced output python script that
contains ALTER TABLE statements (that executed by cursor.execute() ).
I plane to release my code under code.google project hosting. May be
it can help somebody(and me of course) to spend less time with schema
evolution/migration tasks.
Thanks. Sorry for my English:)