What about doing both?  Write a pre_save record indicating the
operation about to be attempted.  And a post_save indicating the
success of the operation, using a unique identifier to identify the
pair.  Then if the post_save gets out of sync, you have a record of
transactions that may be at fault.

Just my two cents.

- Robin