I think everything could be accomplished by creating a separate
settings.py file for each site, and pointing to them in your virtual
hosts.  By installing your apps outside the project dirs, but still in
the PYTHON_PATH, you can refer to the same app dirs in all settings
files.  The only problem I can see is if you specify a different DB in
each settings.py, you'll need to create the same admin accounts in
each.

-Robin