hi,

I've had the same problem I believe. For me the problem was twofold.

1. Trying to reach a third-party smpt server through my local internet
connection.

In my case, I've been at several locations where I try to send mail to
the webfaction smpt server  via the local internet connection.

I cannot do it. I always have to use someone else's username/id that
is local to the connection in order to send email
via smpt. When you put your project/application on webfaction, this
problem will disappear (I figure). I don't recall the technical
jargon, but it's related to not relaying smpt request due to spam
concerns.

2. Different smpt servers require different authentication protocols.
Some just assume that if your attached you must be ok.   It's trial
and error until it works.