On 4/27/07, Nicola Larosa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You may consider starting with a virtual server, and then moving to
> dedicated ones when the traffic warrants it.

I second the recommendation to go with a virtual server as a starting
point.  I've had great success with Slicehost.

The advantage is that right now the best you can do is guess as to
what traffic will be in 6 months.  I don't know if you've run a
sensitivity analysis on your estimates, but divining future traffic
patterns is really a black art.

If actuality is way less than expected, then you're not stuck with a
box you don't need.  If it's way more than expected, you can buy extra
boxes.

But now to your original question...
On 4/27/07, Alex Dong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> but before I put the purchase order, I'd love to hear whether do you
> think the hardware I'm buying could support the traffic/loading

Without knowing more details of your internal logic it's really
difficult to say.

If you decide to go with a dedicated server (and I still strongly
recommend starting out with a virtual server), I'd suggest you
consider more RAM.  It's inexpensive and if you can avoid swapping out
memory in your core processes you'll see huge differences in
performance.

Still, I echo Nicola's recommendation:  start virtual.  It's cheap,
low commitment, and will really let you get a feel for your
application's needs.

 - Ben