Thanks for the tip Brian!
I checked with pg_config --configure
and found out that Postgresql was indeed built with "enable-thread-
safety".
(I had to install libpq-dev with apt-get to get the pg_config-command)

About psycopg, on this site:
http://www.initd.org/tracker/psycopg

it says that you're supposed to use psycopg2, and when I search the
apt packages I can only find psycopg version 1.1.21. That is why I've
chosen to install psycopg2 from source.

About the note "make sure that your libpq has been compiled with the --
with-thread-safety option",
would that be the same as saying that
"make sure that postgresql has been compiled with tread-safety"?

sincerely
/Henrik