This is a recurring topic, I think you'll find valuable information on
this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_frm/thread/9bb9f42090ed316e
If you're developing on windows, I advise you to try pyscripter:
http://pyscripter.googlepages.com/
Haven't yet tried it myself, but pyscripter's latest release has a
remote debugger, which allows to debug django apps.

Cheers,
Filipe