On 5/2/07, mo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm new to Django...
> Is there any special reason that Django does not support DB2?

The obvious reason is that nobody has offered to provide a backend
implementing DB2 support, and it hasn't been required by the core
developers. There may be technical reasons, but I don't know anything
about DB2 in practice.

If you want to contribute to Django by adding DB2 support, you would need to:
- Provide a set of patches implementing a DB2 backend
- Demonstrate a commitment to support the backend long term. We don't
want to add the DB2 backend, only to have it be orphaned (which,
unfortunately, is the current state of the ADO/MS SQL backend).

If you want to see how to do this in practice - check out the
discussion around the Oracle support branch. Work on Oracle support
started in November, and is only now reaching the stage where it can
be merged into trunk. The Front Range Pythoneers (A python users
group) developed the patch, and is adopting the backend to provide
long term support. This group provides the perfect model for how new
DB backends should be supported.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)