On 5/9/07, walterbyrd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks to all who replied. BTW: I have programmed professionally in
> about a dozen different languages, and  have a degree in math with a
> concentration in comp sci. But, I'm new to Python. I've been reading
> up, and writing a few simple programs, but I'm still a beginner.

The core Python language is fairly small, and a weekend spent with a
good tutorial can teach you everything you'll need for daily tasks;
similarly, the parts of Django you'll use most often can be picked up
pretty quickly and without much more than basic Python knowledge.

As you go forward, developing a good working knowledge of Python's
standard library and some of the web-oriented third-party modules
(particularly things like BeautifulSoup[1], feedparser[2] and
httplib2[3], and dateutil[4] even though it's not really directed at
the "web") will pay big dividends, as will exploration of some of
Python's more advanced features (understanding how Django model
classes work internally, for example, isn't necessary for working with
Django, but if you ever want to extend the system you'll need to dig
into metaprogramming and desriptors).

Probably the best introduction to Python for those who already have
some programming experience is Mark Pilgrim's "Dive Into Python"[5];
it goes pretty quickly and the examples move from Python basics to
useful advanced topics.

[1] http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/
[2] http://feedparser.org/
[3] http://bitworking.org/projects/httplib2/