Thanks a lot for your answer that explained what I was underevaluating.

My example was not the real one and while trying to strip it as simple as
possible I missed to say that I used 'smart_unicode' to get unicode
object... and smart_unicode changed in r4904 to "respect deferred
evaluation".

In my real view I was using gettext, not gettext_lazy but the model has
defined help_text as gettext_lazy so that I have it as a __proxy__ object.

I resorted to use for this particular case the old version of smart_unicode,
could I have done something smarter?

Thanks again
sandro
*:-)