On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 06:39 -0700, Vinay Sajip wrote:

> On May 11, 2:10 pm, Maximbo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > now i want modules to be called in russian.
> >
> > Are you want to translate name of module (app) or model (child of a
> > models.Model class)? Is second case, you smoke a bamboo, because there
> > is no way to use i18n with module names :( AFAIK
>
> If you want to translate class names: use verbose_name and
> verbose_name_plural attributes in a Meta class defined in your model
> class.
> For example:
>
> class OrgUnit(models.Model):
>     code = models.CharField(_("code"), unique=True, maxlength=10)
>     name = models.CharField(_("name"), maxlength=100)
>
>     class Meta:
>         verbose_name = _("Organisation unit")
>
> or
>
> class Category(models.Model):
>     class Meta:
>         verbose_name_plural = _("Categories")
>
> If you want to show the names of your Django apps in Russian (or any
> other language), use this patch:
>
> http://code.djangoproject.com/attachment/ticket/3591/app_labels.5.diff
>
> Then, run make-messages.py, update the translations in the .po files,
> run compile-messages.py and you should be able to show
> internationalized app names and model class names.

I (and I presume the other core developers) would love to hear some
feedback on how well that patch works and how easy it is to use from
people other than the author, too. I haven't had time to look at the
patch much yet, but Vinay has put a lot of thought into the design and
it doesn't look too bad from a quick scan. So now is a good time to
start getting real-world feedback and you guys can keep Vinay busy by
finding all the problems with it. :-)

Regards,
Malcolm