After a few false starts, I managed to get this going.
Now my problem is that this approach only really works for Booleans.
What if I wanted a form to enter test scores for a class, one score per
student ?
All my approaches so far have ended up with multiple fields with the same
name, which then doesn't work when I get the POST data back (I think).

This doesn't seem to be a particularly unreasonable objective, so I suspect
that I'm again missing some obvious approach...

Chris