On 12 май, 17:08, Nic James Ferrier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Eugene Morozov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Sorry, I don't get the point. I think that XSLT is a way to separate
> > presentation from data. But your json looks like some kind of HTML. I
> > don't understand how this is better than existing Django templates.
>
> It has several advantages:
>
> - there is proper separation between data and style, my JSON doesn't
>   include any stylistic information, only stuff that describes the data

I still think that your example is not the best. "div" and "span" has
no semantic meaning, they're just HTML placeholders.

> - the JSON template *is* python, you can pretty much do anything with
>   it: you can separate bits of the rendering with different methods,
>   you can test it outside of Django, you can pass it around and
>   process it with Python quite naturally.

This is valid point.

> - you get JSON output if you want it, direct from your view

This is valid point, too.

> - you get to use XSLT to turn the JSON into anything you want... you
>   need Atom from a resource as well as HTML? Just have 2 different
>   stylesheets but the same JSON.

I think it is possible with plain Django templates, too. Just define 2
different templates.

Your small framework could be really useful in some situations, I was
just thinking about how to apply my XSLT knowledge to ease web
development tasks. But I think that need better examples really
showing benefits of XSLT approach. I was turned off by those HTML
elements in JSON data immediately. Maybe this is just my personal
opinion.
Eugene