> 1. TEMPLATE_CONTEXT_PROCESSORS is not in my settings file. But the docs say
> that its default is: ("django.core.context_processors.auth", etc...

That is correct:
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/settings/#template-context-processors

The default isn't explicitly defined in settings.py.  If you really
wanted to be sure it's in there, set it.  For example,

TEMPLATE_CONTEXT_PROCESSORS=
("django.core.context_processors.auth",
"django.core.context_processors.debug",
"django.core.context_processors.i18n")

I think it would have been better to have it explicit set in
settings.py.  It would be more clear (as in your case) and easier to
modify (you wouldn't have to go find the documentation and copy/paste
it in).

There is probably a better way to check TEMPLATE_CONTEXT_PROCESSORS,
but setting it will help you eliminate this problem.