On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 16:29 -0700, Fay wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I encountered a situation that foreign key constraints were generated
> differently for the same data model.
>
> Below is my test model that has 2 identical sets of 1-to-many tables.
> When I run django sqlall command, however the foreign key constraints
> were built differently, one used column constraint while the other
> used table constraint. It seems the table names contribute to this
> behavior. Although they function very similarly, I wonder why that
> happened.

The constraint on test_x2 had to be added later because at the time
table test_x2 was created, there was no table test_x1 to reference. When
table test_a2 was created, table test_a1 already existed, so it could
include the constraint inline.

It's not worth doing a topological sort on the table to make sure
everything is a backwards reference (since it's not possible to always
achieve that anyway) as the two ways of specifying the constraint lead
to identical behaviour.

Regards,
Malcolm