Despite several hours of poking around, I'm just not getting how to
make custom template tags and would greatly appreciate a little hand
holding.

I've created a directory called "templatetags" that's in the same
directory as models.py and views.py. In the templatetags directory,
there's an __init__.py file and a file called custom_tags.py, which
contains:

from django.conf import settings
from django.template import Library

def media():
  return settings.MEDIA_URL

register = Library()
register.simple_tag("media")

In my base.html template the very first line is:

{% load custom_tags %}

In settings.py I have:

INSTALLED_APPS = (
    'django.contrib.auth',
    'django.contrib.contenttypes',
    'django.contrib.sessions',
    'django.contrib.sites',
    'myapp.main',
    'myapp.main.templatetags',
    'django.contrib.admin',
)

This results in an exception:

Exception Type:         TypeError
Exception Value:        arg is not a Python function
Exception Location:     D:\Python24\Lib\inspect.py in getargspec, line
677

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?