On Sat, 26 May 2007 19:28:03 +1000, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

>> > looks
>> >
>> > I wouldn't have thought it was possible to permanently disable that,
>> > so
>> > my first thought would be you haven't changed the limits for the
>> > right
>> > process.
>>
>> Entirely possible, but I ran the "ulimit -c unlimited" in the same bash
>> session that I subsequently ran the sync in.
>>
>> > Is Python crashing? Or the PostgreSQL server?
>>
>> Python:
>>   ~$ python project/manage.py syncdb
>>   Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> Oh, right. :-(
>
> I think you're a little bit doomed here, if Ubuntu ships stripped
> binaries. On a Fedora system I would install the *-debuginfo at this
> point. Then you could try
>
>         gdb python
>         (gdb) run manage.py syncdb
>
> and at least you will be in gdb when it crashes and can type "bt" to see
> what's going on. Though, as I said, with stripped binaries this is going
> to tell you nuffink.

On Debian, Ubuntu & friends the package is python-dbg. After installing
that, run 'gdb python-dbg', and then use gdb normally.

BTW, the updated python 2.5.1 package entered feisty-updates recently, so
assuming you have a line like this in your sources.list:

  ## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
  deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-updates main restricted
universe multiverse

then a normal upgrade should pull it in. You can check which version
of the python package you have installed with a command like:

$ apt-cache policy python
python:
  Installed: 2.5.1-0ubuntu3
  Candidate: 2.5.1-0ubuntu3
  Version table:
 *** 2.5.1-0ubuntu3 0
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com feisty-updates/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.5.1~rc1-0ubuntu3 0
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com feisty/main Packages

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078