On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 22:48 +0200, Nicola Larosa wrote:
> David wrote:
> > The second reply asked "Why switch?" There's no smoking gun or nasty
> > occurrence, but we're switching some applications from Oracle to open-
> > source databases and are trying several. Because we need to interact
> > both via Django applications and via direct SQL, we have been finding
> > it much easier to shoot ourselves in the feet when we neglect to use
> > the InnoDB storage engine and thus have no foreign-key-constraint
> > enforcement. It also seems like Django authors (in The Book at least)
> > favor PostgreSQL.
>
> There are many reasons to prefer PostgreSQL to MySQL. Many of them may be
> found here:
>
> MySQL-PostgreSQL comparison
> http://www.teknico.net/devel/myvspg/index.en.html

There are also similar reasons to prefer MySQL over PostgreSQL in
various circumstances. That comparison is hardly balanced and we really
don't need to have yet another thread like that on this list (I say this
as somebody who likes PostgreSQL a lot and tends to use it by default,
but has used both databases in high performance, high load situations
with very large databases).

Regards,
Malcolm