I think my question wasn't clear:  we're having NO problem putting
files on S3, that's dead simple (ie what Holovaty blogged about).

What we need to do is take an *in-memory Image* and put it directly
onto S3.  We need a way to convert a PIL Image instance into a format
S3 can accept WITHOUT having to first save the Image to the file-
system.  S3 accepts the kind of string that gets returned from
open(afile).read()

I was trying to wrap the result of img.tostring() in the StringIO
class, and then put that on S3, but that doesn't work either...