I have an event manager that is a bit like a database driven
pydispatch combined with a general logging/monitoring app.
Embarassingly enough I wrote it before learning about pydispatch and
signals.  So much for not reinventing the wheel.  It keeps track of
various events, calls registered callback functions on those events,
and depending on settings for that event type it may log it to the
database, syslog, or cache it for a period of time waiting for a
related event.

It's django model aware for logging of object types, keys and model
specific info by use of a mixin class (which references the manager)
to go along with models.Model.  That has a side effect of causing the
manager to load before all of the model relations are complete, making
getting the configuration from the database tricky if I want to use
the orm. There are a number of possible hacks I think will work to get
around it for this, but it just seemed like a 'django is ready, do
your own init if you want to' signal would make the most sense if it
existed.

For now I just don't allow any event at module level, and the first
event logged triggers a sync with the database when it doesn't fnd the
information in the cache.  I'll probably just keep it this way so I
can periodically requery the database for updated configuration when
the cache expires.

I hope this isn't being posted twice, but it's been an hour or two and
the original reply hasn't found its way here yet.