On May 31, 5:30 pm, Daniel Ellison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A quick glance at the memcached site says that it's used on LiveJournal, which
> gets over 20,000,000 page requests per day. Excellent. Not quite at our
> traffic level, but not too shabby. :)

Memcached is pretty much the industry standard now for caching on high
traffic sites, at least those that use the LAMP stack. Flickr and
Wikipedia both use it, but the highest traffic install at the moment
is probably Facebook who are running 200+ memcache servers each with
16GB of RAM.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.cache.memcached/3212

If your site is almost all reads memcache should work like a dream.
Django's caching framework (which can use memcache on the backend)
should cover you nicely.

If you haven't read it already, I'd strongly suggest getting a copy of
Cal Henderson's book "Building Scalable Websites", which covers a ton
of lessons he learnt scaling Flickr. Best book on the subject I've
seen.