I'm trying to set up a model with a field that swallows a healthy
dollop of html, such as a youtube embed code.

But then, I want to use regular expressions to strip that code into
pieces that I can access independently.  My first thought is that some
regular expression kungfu could do that parsing and then store it as
models fields.

Would it make sense to do this as a model method? Would that do the
parsing repeatedly, and not just when the object is added?

Where would you have the regular expressions run?

thanks for your help.