Mike Schinkel wrote:
> Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > Outlook has had rule-based sorting into other mailboxes for a
> > while, so I would have thought it was possible to use that.
>
> It does have that. And I tried that for a while, but found it to be
> "out-of-sight, out-of-mind."  It's worse than just going to the group page
> and searching when I need something.
>
> How I work with other lists (that use subject headers) is I press Ctrl-F
> bring up a search box and type "[whatever" (let's assume "[du]" for this
> list). That gives me a list of only those emails and when I open them I
> can
> go to the previous or next email by clicking a button.  It is really the
> only way I'd found to effectively manage participation in a list (and I've
> tried lots of things.)

For what it's worth, I use Outlook to read this list, and I prefer not
having some fixed text in the subject line.

Much as I dislike Outlook, I'm surprised that you find this to be a problem.
I have a rule that puts all the messages from this list into their own
folder, which works great for me (I can then archive that folder on a
different schedule to my other folders, and all the messages are grouped
nicely together).
Looking at the rules wizard, you could "perform a custom action", "run a
script", "flag message with a colored flag" or "assign it to a specific
category" (among many other options), any of which sound like they provide
other ways of easily finding the messages in this list.

Of course if I'm searching for something that may have been discussed on the
list, I'll tend to go to the web anyway because I know that the archive
there is more complete than the one on my local machine :-) The Lookout
search plugin for Outlook allows me to easily search within a specific
folder if I'm looking for something I remember seeing.

As for the list itself, this is one of the most helpful lists I've found.

Chris