Have you restarted your webserver after updating your views? If you
are using mod_python, it sometimes shows a newer version of the code
and sometimes - the earlier.
Also install Firebug add-on for your Firefox browser and check the
requests and responses. It might show you the problem.
AJAX is as stable as you make it, as well as any other technologies.

Regards,
Aidas Bendoraitis aka Archatas