On Jul 2, 5:13 pm, Carl Karsten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "not using X" does not say what you are doing - my best guess is "what will be
> available if I just run python?"  if so, the answer is "nothing other than you
> can import django."

As I mentioned, this is what I was trying to do:

>>> from django.template import Template, Context

It does not work from the standard python prompt, and it does not work
from ipython.  It does work if I launch a shell with: python manage.py
shell.

Apparently, the reason it works if I  launch a shell with "python
manage.py shell" is because that affects the setting in manage.py.

Okay, so what if I don't launch from any interactive shell? What if I
run from a text file? Since I am not running manage.py, I would think
that meant that the settings would not be affected. But, it does seem
to work from the text file.