Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
> On 7/3/07, Carl Karsten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
>>> Thats fine. However, as fair warning - this is the first time that
>>> Sybase support has been requested (compared to the regular requests
>>> for MS SQL Server support), so I wouldn't expect to see Sybase support
>>> any time soon.
>> You guys are in luck - Sybase and MS are the 'same'- MS bought a copy of
>> Sybase
>>
>> http://pymssql.sf.net  uses http://www.freetds.org
>
> Ok. In which case, a Sybase backend will probably hit the same
> problems as the existing MS SQL backend. MS SQL doesn't contain
> support for LIMIT/OFFSET in queries, which Django uses these keywords
> to optimize the results obtained from large queries. (I think this
> problem has been fixed in SQL Server 2005, but don't quote me on that.
> I don't keep close tabs on MS SQL).

maybe.

The dbapi module dose not deal with commands, so just because one server
doesn't
support the syntax doesn't mean the other doesn't.     Now that I think about
it, the code I posted my not be applicable to sybase for the exact same reason.
   OTOH, it is sql-92, so it is a good place to start.

Oracle has the same problem.  I just looked in the new code:
  # To support limits and offsets, Oracle requires some funky rewriting of an
otherwise normal looking query.

> This is especially true for databases
> without a free license, as the core developers won't have access to
> those databases for testing.

sql-Express. 100% free.  runs OK in a qemu vm.

course this doesn't help with Sybase, but figured it was worth mentioning for
anyone following along.

Carl K