On 7/4/07, Carl Karsten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The problem I see is maintaining the generated file.  This process will often
> start before the target system is stable, so as soon as you start making
> changes
> to the target model, the converter will need to be updated too.  If the
> transformation formulas are part of one of the models, then there isn't
> anything
> to keep in sync.

You don't have to maintain the generated file. After you've updated
the database, there's no need to keep it. When you want another update
to the database, you create a new file and change there what you want.

> >> Also, along the lines of slow... you are going to love this one: how about
> >> making it use the web server as the source which would allow migrating
> >> between 2
> >> servers where http is the only exposed protocol?   it would also take care
> >> of
> >> migrating between systems where I don't have both db stacks installed on
> >> one box
> >> - consider win/mssql -> linux/SqlLite.  yeah yeah, django/mssql doesn't
> >> exist
> >> yet... but it makes a good example :)
> >
> > I think that for this you can use "./manage.py dumpdata" and
> > "./manage.py loaddata". See
> > http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/msg/02f5447f41207a65
>
> But then you don't get any of the nifty transformations which is kinda the
> point
> of your idea.

Well, you can separate nifty transformations (which will be done on
one computer) and system migration.

Noam