On Jul 6, 9:46 am, Malcolm Tredinnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 08:26 +0000, neebone wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > Ok, I've got a page which uses a generic view to load the article into
> > the template. All good so far. I've then created two template tags,
> > list_comments and comment_form.
> > list_comments is displayed first. The tag grabs the comments
> > associated with article and returns a rendered template.
> > comment_form does the same expect returns a rendered form. Now,
> > because the article page sends the request context to its template,
> > all the tags within the template can read the request variable too.
> > This means, the form tag can also detect if a POST action has taken
> > place, and add a comment (which is how it works).
>
> > So this poses the problem - am I using the tag for the wrong thing? I
> > dont want to send the post request off to a different url which will
> > handle adding the comment....however I could, instead of using a
> > generic view, use a custom article view to detect a post request and
> > load a different view to add the comment - redirecting back to article
> > which solves my problem.
>
> This is a very unusual way of coding, I suspect. You seem to be trying
> to put the logic that would normally be part of a view (which is
> basically the business logic and request handling side of an app) into
> the template rendering phase instead (presentation logic). So, yes,
> there are going to be some request handling things you can't do, at
> least not easily.
>
> If I were you, I would just use normal views to do this. I can't see
> that you are saving yourself any code doing it the current way -- you
> still have to write all the POST processing code, but you've put it in
> the tag instead of another function.
>
> Certainly trying to do any acting on the request using redirection or
> anything like that is inappropriate for the rendering phase. You're
> already into the "produce output" phase by that point and have gone past
> the point of controlling where the output goes.
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm
>
> --
> I don't have a solution, but I admire your
> problem.http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/

Yeh, I see what your saying. I was trying to emulate, to a degree, how
the django comment stuff works (without actually looking at the code).
The tag itself is basic - it just calls a comment function which
handles adding the comment.

I wanted the comments to be dropped into any page (using generic
relations to any given model). If anything, the main reason I needed
the redirect was because the comments get listed first, then the form
gets processed. But obviously when the new comment has been added, the
list has already been rendered - meaning the new comment wont appear
until the page is refreshed!

Ok, back to the drawing board... Thanks Malcom.