A reply by John Shaffer posted on django-developers (didn't realize it
was for "developing django" not "developing with django"):

"We use this in Satchmo:
<form method="post" action=".">
{{
form.discount }}</td></tr>
form.discount.errors|join:", " }}{% endif %}</td></tr>
    <input type="submit" value="Confirm"/>
</form>

Does that give you enough control?"

No, that's exactly the type of problem I'm having, with the
{{ form.discount }} shortcut rather than it being an <input/> or
<textarea/> element. The only control that offers me as a designer is
knowing that the id in this case would be "id_discount" as a matter of
convention and that's it - I can't stick a class on it or add any
other attributes, like onFocus or an initial value or all the other
range of stuff I'd be able to monkey with if it was a plain old html
element rather than something auto-generated.

Does using a newform shortcut make things that much easier from a
programmatic standpoint? Or to ask the opposite, is using <input/> and
<textarea/> elements in a template make things that much harder for
things like data validation?