Hi Silas,

> If it is a personal site take a look at http://www.maani.us/xml_charts/
> they have some really nice charts that are flash based.
> All the data is sent via xml.

Thanks for your input. However, I don't like the idea of forcing people to
use flash to look at plots, since (unlike Django, R, Python, and RPy)
Flash is not free software. Furthermore, it seems that there are no
advanced statistical capabilities available with the XML/SWF Charts
package, locking you into the particular charts and data analysis methods
that the package author has written.

One of the major benefits to using R is that it is a programming language
with many extension packages for different types of data analysis. It's
really easy to do simple statistical tests and more advanced statistical
modeling in R, and have the results displayed on your plot (or returned
back to Python). Furthermore, the modes of plotting are much more
customizable, i.e.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~tdhock/plot-history/
http://www.r-project.org/screenshots/screenshots.html

The idea with django.contrib.dataplot is that it provides the framework
for interfacing with Django, and some default generic plot types (Scatter,
TimeSeries, etc. similar to XML/SWF Charts), but you can pop in your own
plotting code and have a totally custom plot too, if you need to.

Sincerely,
Toby Dylan Hocking